Ghanaian actor Van Vicker has revealed he will sue the website responsible for a recent false publication about him.
An entertainment online platform reported Tuesday, October 7, that the actor contracted the deadly Ebola virus disease while he was in Monrovia, Liberia’s capital, shooting the sequel to his movie ‘Bendu Sudan’.
Social media commentary following the publication also suggested that Vicker had been quarantined in the Ebola-hit West African country and denied access back home to Ghana.
Speaking on Starr 103.5 FM Friday, October 10, the ‘Neat Job’ actor said the report affected his family badly.
“The worst thing about being popular is when rumours are spread about you for no reason”, he said.
“But this was a full blown article. Not a rumour. That’s the most disgusting bit of it. Garbage! It was just ridiculous but my worry wasn’t really me. My worry was my kids, how they took it.”
According to Vicker, his daughter came home from school after the news broke to tell him a school mate was asking questions about her father’s health.
“These things get to my wife. She gets a little more worried than I get” and that is why “we will be serving them soon… They can get ready to be served”, he declared.
Vicker said he is motivated to sue because he wants to promote responsible journalism.
“The good thing is not necessarily what I’m going to make from them. That is not the primary goal. I want to put a stop to all these false stories that go out now and again.
“They’ve done it one too many times to me and a number of my other colleagues in showbiz. I want them to stop such [journalism]”.